3/26/2009

Birdography

Todays photographic trip was just what i expected. Great weather. I mean GREAT weather. Gear working. Birds to take photos of. Nature. Damn, only thing i missed was coffee. What an amateurish mistake... I didnt take any coffee with me. If ever possible, this trip was nearly perfect succes.

I started this trip by setting a goal of taking pictures of atleast one specie of woodpeckers (two would be something very exceptional, considering time recourses available - 2 hours) I also wanted to have some pictures of random birds. Secondly i wanted to test the teleconverter and to achieve some kind of conclusion of its performance and usability. I started the session by thinking where would i find dead or rotting trees in the near forests. I had a clear vision in my mind of area with some dead birches so i decided to head up there. I was certain that i would encounter some small birds on my way there so i didnt really stress it that much. Certain mark of woodpecker habitance is woodpieces all around a dead standing tree. Its also very likely that strange holes on trees, dead or alive are made by woodpeckers. Thank god im not that fanatical that i would start to describe woodpecker droppings. It didnt cross my mind to take a photo about these marks, but i think you are getting what i mean.

It was an exciting trip, having to use all instincts to be able to find those little birds. First off trying to hear them to get a clue where they would be. After that just staying still and trying to see the exact spot of the birds. This is crucial, after knowing the area where the birds could be, one has to absolutely stay still and try to make sense of their whereabouts. I dont know if i have problems with my eyes but i cant simply see those small birds if im on the move.

Okay okay there was some downsides on it too. For some strange reason i took a tripod with me and yes i hauled it with me all the time. At some point i stashed it to some noticable bushes and retrieved it after the trip.

And to the gear... the tc-200... it exceeded all my expectations. This little cadget really made those annoying situations nonexistent where those little pesky birds being just too far away.

There were problems too. When adding teleconverter or taking it off one has to always be very careful not to leave camerabody on manual focus mode and remember to switch ones lens to autofocus. D2X performed as usual, perfect. The 300mm performed also very very well. I love this lens. On the whole trip i didnt even think switching to 17-55, this may give you some clue how much fun i had photographing birds.

Last but not least, the pictures. a spotted woodpecker, a blue tit and a great tit.

a great tit Nikkor 300mm f4.5 shutter 1 / 1600


a blue tit Nikkor 300mm f8 + Nikkor TC-200 Shutter 1 / 640

a spotted woodpecker nikkor 300mm f8 Shutter 1 / 640


a spotted woodpecker Nikkor 300 f8 + Nikkor TC-200 Shutter 1/500


2 kommenttia:

  1. Nice work once again! :) Where were you traveling? Somewhere near here..?

    You should try to take pics of other animals too! (Like Riitu <3)

    VastaaPoista
  2. Hehe yea theres a lot of wildilife near us. Riitu, Puusti, Muhku, Iitu and Maikki. I should do a photographic trip to take photos of animals near us :) Thanks again for kind words, i think you're my only regular visitor :D

    I took these photos in santahamina, Helsinki. So if someone thinks one cant find wonderful birds near human habitance he is gravely mistaken.

    VastaaPoista